Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Date Pecan Cinnamon Rolls Tinged with Failure

Sorry I haven't updated!  I made some date cinnamon rolls and took lots of loving, detailed pictures, but they came out completely sucky.  Then I thought of a better blog name, and started angsting about changing, and then it was Labor day and I left for the weekend.

So after careful consideration, although the "roll" part of my cinnamon rolls was tough and dry, the filling was actually pretty good.  Like, really good.  So, how about I give you the recipe and you annotate with your favorite cinnamon roll dough.  The brioche recipe from Julia Child's Joy of Baking is awesome, and if I find my cookbook, I'll post it.  I couldn't find it at the time, and ended up using something else which wasn't half as good.

The inspiration for the filling is my late Grandma's date pinwheel cookies that she made every year at Christmas.  I took a similar filling, added pecans and spread it evenly on the rested dough.  The recipe is as follows:

1 1/2 cups dried dates
1 cup chopped pecans, or your other favorite nut
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water plus more as you see fit
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Heat the water and the dates over medium heat, until the water boils and the dates get smushable.

(So apparently, photo upload isn't working right now.  Just pretend there's a picture of some dates and water in a small to medium saucepan)

Add the chopped pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon.  Stir it all together, and keep cooking until the dates break down into a spreadable paste.  You'll have to keep adding water one to two tablespoons at a time until this happens.

(Insert pretend photo)

Once it does, set aside to cool and then spread over rolled out cinnamon roll dough.

(Insert pretend photo)

Allow to rest and then bake according to cinnamon roll dough directions.

Volia!  Sort of.  Please don't allow my ineptitude to keep you from making this filling.  It really is delicious.

Ok, so now that that's over with (I feel like a club president with my blog), I have to ask. If I changed the blog address to http://makeitupbakeitup.blogspot.com , how would people feel?  Is there an easy way to copy the text and photos of my previous two blog posts?

Also, I'm going to make a twitter account for whichever blog title I go with, so you won't have to keep checking back here for updates.  I'll let you know.  Because I'm classy like that.

1 comment:

  1. I created a blogger account just now, and it looks like at the last step you are given the option to import an existing Blogger...blog.

    (http://ext.glowingpixel.com/interblogs.gif)

    makeitupbakeitup makes me want to dance a little bit. I like it!

    ReplyDelete